Hyatt Director, Corporate Accounting in CHICAGO, Illinois
The primary responsibility of this position is the oversight of a team of 20 Hyatt professionals and their assigned processes within the monthly and quarterly close process. This includes oversight of the accounting processes executed by the team as well as additional deliverables that the team provides to others within the organization. Additional responsibilities include the evaluation and development of the Senior Managers, Managers, Seniors, and Staff Accountants in the organization so that they may grow as professionals and elevate to higher levels of responsibility. Additionally, the Director will be expected to identify projects to improve the accounting processes for which the team is responsible and guide the individual teams to ensure the projects are successfully executed. Finally, the Director is expected to serve as a customer service point of contact for the Business Unit Finance groups that are supported by their team and to proactively engage them in strategic discussions as to how to improve the level of corporate accounting’s service in the organization.
- Completeness and accuracy of the corporate general ledger, including accounts receivable.
- Review of quarterly and annual external reporting schedules.
- Develop project plans (timelines, milestones, assignments) for the team to execute process improvements or Corporate initiatives.
- Serve as a customer service point of contact for colleagues supported by the Corporate Accounting team.
- Establish and implement development plans for all team members and additionally, monitor the performance of the team members against established goals.
- Deliver quality candid feedback to team members.
- Evaluate and recommend existing team members for promotion/internal transfer opportunities.
- Coordinate and/or oversee the coordination of the interview and evaluation process for open positions on the team..
- Field and resolve questions from management and internal/external auditors.
- Identify and drive improvements in processes in the organization that will result in greater efficiencies as well as decrease exposure to financial misstatements.
- Contribute to the compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley, including the documentation of controls and processes and testing of key controls.
- Manage the monthly close process and maintain the responsibility for the corporate general ledger.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Hyatt core values.
The position responsibilities outlined above are in no way to be construed as all encompassing. Other duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may be required and/or assigned as necessary.
- 10-15 years of accounting experience, preferably in both public and corporate accounting. Additionally, should have supervisory responsibilities or other experiences relative to ensuring the quality of work delivered by team members.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting (required)
- Master’s degree in Accounting (preferred)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) - preferred
- Strong PC Skills, including Microsoft Office
- Financial ERP systems (Oracle and Hyperion preferred)
- Oral and written communications – communicates effectively at all levels both verbally and in writing; responds appropriately to verbal and non-verbal cues; can succinctly get messages across that have desired effect.
- Expertise – demonstrates a high degree of professional accounting competence in correctly translating business process activity into journal entries; can efficiently and accurately gauge the accounting accuracy of entries prepared by others; timely and independently resolves ad hoc accounting research issues.
- Organizing – can proactively marshal resources, including people, to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively and efficiently; arranges information and files in a useful manner.
- Customer focus – views every customer contact as an opportunity to add value and enhance relationships. Considers the impact on customers as a barometer to use in decision making.
- Personal integrity and trust – is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
Primary Location: US-IL-Chicago
Organization: Hyatt Corporate Office
Pay Basis: Yearly
Job Level: Full-time
Req ID: CHI008865
Hyatt is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, disability, veteran status, genetic information, citizenship status or any other group protected by law.